Thursday 19 March 2020

Night Prayer from the Rectory 19th March 2020

CLICK HERE FOR THE VIDEO

Evening Prayer – 19th March 2020

A THE BLESSING OF THE LIGHT

A candle is lit
Christ your light shall rise in the darkness
and your healing shall spring up like the dawn.

The light and peace of Jesus Christ be with you all
And also with you.

Let us give thanks to the Lord our God
Who is worthy of all thanksgiving and praise.


Blessèd are you, Sovereign God,
Shepherd of your pilgrim people:
their pillar of cloud by day,
their pillar of fire by night.
Stir up in us the fire of your love
which shone forth from your Son
enthroned on the cross,
that we may be cleansed of all our sins
and be made ready to come into your presence,
Father, Son and Holy Spirit:
Blessèd be God for ever!


A SONG OF THE LIGHT (59)
1
O joyful light,
   from the pure glory of the eternal heavenly Father,*
O holy, blessèd Jesus Christ.
2
As we come to the setting of the sun*
and see the evening light,
3
We give thanks and praise to the Father and to the Son*
and to the Holy Spirit of God.
4
Worthy are you at all times
   to be sung with holy voices,
   O Son of God, O Giver of life,*
and to be glorified through all creation.

Let my prayer rise before you as incense,
the lifting up of my hands as the evening sacrifice.

O Lord, I call to you; come to me quickly;
hear my voice when I cry to you.
Set a watch before my mouth, O Lord,
and guard the door of my lips.

Let my prayer rise before you as incense,
the lifting up of my hands as the evening sacrifice.

Let not my heart incline to any evil thing;
let me not be occupied in wickedness.
But my eyes are turned to you, Lord God,
in you I take refuge;
do not leave me defenceless.

Let my prayer rise before you as incense,
the lifting up of my hands as the evening sacrifice.


THE OPENING PRAYER may be said:
As our evening prayer rises before you, O God,
so may your mercy come down upon us
   to cleanse our hearts
and set us free to sing your praise,
now and for ever. Amen.


THE WORD OF GOD


Psalm 27

1
The Lord is my light and my salvation;
   whom then shall I fear?*
the Lord is the strength of my life;
   of whom then shall I be afraid?
2
When evildoers came upon me to eat up my flesh,*
it was they, my foes and my adversaries,
   who stumbled and fell.
3
Though an army should encamp against me,*
yet my heart shall not be afraid;
4
And though war should rise up against me,*
yet will I put my trust in him.
5
One thing have I asked of the Lord;
   one thing I seek;*
that I may dwell in the house of the Lord
   all the days of my life;
6
To behold the fair beauty of the Lord*
and to seek him in his temple.
7
For in the day of trouble
   he shall keep me safe in his shelter;*
he shall hide me in the secrecy of his dwelling
   and set me high upon a rock.
Glory . . .

THE SCRIPTURE READING


REFLECTION

THE PRAYERS

Lord, have mercy.
Lord, have mercy.

Christ, have mercy.
Christ, have mercy.

Lord, have mercy.
Lord, have mercy.

THE COLLECT
Lighten our darkness,
Lord, we pray,
and in your great mercy
defend us from all perils
   and dangers of this night;
for the love of your only Son,
our Saviour Jesus Christ . . . 3


PRAYERS FOR PARTICULAR NEED

THE CONCLUSION

The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ,
and the love of God,
and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit,
be with us all evermore. Amen.

May the life-giving cross be the source of all our joy and peace.
And the blessing of God Almighty, Father Son & Holy Spirit be with you and all those who you love and who love you, this night and for evermore. Amen.



No comments: